Make your own free website on

Chetumal Gringos

Support Information

Home | Photo Album | Local Events | About Us | Services | Support Information | Contact Information | Maps and Directions

Information you may find useful!

New requirements will soon be in place that will affect you if you're used to traveling to and from Mexico with just a driver's license or birth certificate. It is time to get your passport.

According to the U.S. State Department website, as of Jan. 23, anyone who seeks entry when traveling by air into the United States will be required to have a valid passport.

If you're planning to drive across the border or enter the U.S. by boat, you will be required to have a valid passport as of Jan. 1, 2008. It will be possible to apply for a limited Passport Card (called the Pass Card) for use for travel only by land or sea. This card is still in development, however so it is best just to get your passport, especially if you plan on staying, traveling further south or applying for a FM3 Visa (Residency).

Please Please Please!! I can't stress it enough and it will save you a bundle of money!


Note: It is against the law and it is enforced. If you do not have insurance and even if it is not your fault you have to pay (pay off the other driver (for his damages)and leave before the police come or you will go to jail). If no one else is involved or you paid off the other driver (for his damages) it is not against the law to leave. I know someone who didn't and had to give the driver his whole retirement check of $1000. SO PAY THE APX. $187-$250 PER Year for Vehicle Insurance before you come. You can buy it online as a frequent visitor to Mexico with a US address. If you tow a trailer it must be as a visitor and you must have title/registration. I will soon put links for insurance below.

Mexico Insurance for Americans traveling to and from Mexico (Use a USA address), Quote and Purchase Online (1 year policies have best price) Click Here! Note: Make sure you ask for an In and Out Visa at the Border! It will be stamped on tourist visa form you fill out.

Information just for you!

For Registration with US Embassy/Consulate click below to register.

Register now

Below are listed 3 US Consulates in the Yucatan Penisula
(I tried to find street, mailing, phone, fax and e-mail addresses.

1. US Consulate in Merida, Quintana Roo, Mexico:
Calle 60 No. 338-K x 29 y 31, Col. Alcalá Martín, 97050

2. US Consulate in CANCUN, Quintana Roo, Mexico:
Plaza Caracol Dos
Segundo Nivel No. 320-323
Blvd. Kukulkan
Zona Hotelera
Cancun, Q.R. 77500
Office: (01-998) 883-0272,
Fax: (01-998) 883-1373
Duty Cell: (01-998) 845-4364
E-MAIL: or
Mailing Address: Apdo. Postal 862
Cancun, Q.R.

3. US Consulate in COZUMEL, Quntana Roo, Mexico:
U.S.Consular Agency (Off.Hrs.Mo-Fri:12:00-14:00)
Plaza Villa Mar en El Centro, Plaza Principal
Parque Juarez entre Melgar y 5a. Ave., 2° Piso, Locales 8 y 9.
Cozumel, QR. 77600
Office Tels: (01-987) 872-4574, 872-4485
Fax: (01-987) 872-2339 E/MAIL: or

Mexico Prepaid Cell Phone: (52) 983-106-4139